Monday, May 6, 2013

How Fast We Run


       When I walked in the classroom she was sitting toward the back, surrounded by guys. I made my way to where I usually sit, which was conveniently right next to her. At this point they were in the middle of a conversation, but I was able to catch some of it.
“Did it hurt when you fell from heaven?” One of the guys grinned.
“No,” she nodded. “But I did scrape my knee when I crawled up from Hell.”
“Oh, uh, look at that,” he stuttered before he walked away.
       I burst out laughing, how could she be so charming yet so sour? Quickly she glanced at me and smiled. All of the guys awkwardly walked away, unsure as to why she hadn’t fallen for one of them already.
“I see you found your way to room 204,” I laughed, still amazed at how well she pulled off her bluntness.
“No help from you of course,” she scoffed.
“Sorry that you walked away so suddenly,” I said all fake defensively.
“Meh, whatever,” she shrugged.
       Okay..?
“So why’d you ditch me earlier?” I asked.
“You know people don’t like it when you ask a lot of questions,” she told me.
“Just curious,” I shrugged.
“That’s cute,” she smiled fakily.
"Thanks?" I guessed.
"It's such a shame," she patted my head.
"What's a shame?" I asked, disregarding her previous comment.
"Nothing," she smiled sadly.
"Now why don't I believe that?" I questioned with the non existent people around us.
"Funny, funny," she said sarcastically.
"So what's your name?" I switched topics.
"Why's that important?" She avoided the question.
"Come on, what's your name?" I asked again.
"You really want to know?" She sighed.
"Yes!" I told her.
"My name's Kennedy," she shrugged.
"So she finally has a name," I nodded.
"You're weird," she laughed, shoving me.
"But as a human being I was curious! You're already so mysterious and not like anyone else here, I needed something to humanize you."
"Human," she laughed. "Such a fun term."

No comments:

Post a Comment