Thursday, February 7, 2013

How Fast We Run


Normally it’s quiet in the mornings. And of course, today was the exception where something new and different happened. Well, at least, that’s the look she told me to take on things. She being the girl who filled the hallway with noise at 7:00 in the morning. She being the girl who changed everyone’s lives. She being the girl who’s going to die any day now.
            7:00:31 to be exact, I was standing by my locker, attempting to wake up when she came. There weren’t many people in the halls, mostly because we could be asleep right now but we were the lucky ones who had to go to school early because of some reason that made us too incompetent to go later in the day. Her reason? She was new.
            She stood out against the lockers, somehow this was possible. Anything’s possible if you’re her. Her heels clicked against the linoleum floor, sending a steady beat through the hall. She looked stiff, at least at that moment she looked stiff. Her hair framed her face perfectly, and for some reason, she was wearing sunglasses. She had her hands stuffed in her pockets, followed by a fearless strut.
            I know I wasn’t the only one who thought that she was the kind of girl who gets everyone to stand when she walks in a room. Even that first fated day I saw her I thought I should’ve bowed or something. Her red hair matched her red lipstick, which made her skin look like snow. She was one of those girls who had a rich father and a stay at home mother. One of those girls who thought she was too good for the world.
            She was just one of those girls, she pushed the red curls back to expose excessively pierced ears. Carefully she opened a locker and pulled her jacket off. At this point I was mesmerized-- curious to see what was next. She pulled her glasses off, exposing purple eyes. Calmly she looked over at me, knowing I had been watching her the whole time.
            “See something you like?” Her voice proved to be nothing less than expected as she raised an eyebrow.
            “I’m sorry,” was all I could muster.
            “Don’t be sorry for what you meant to do,” she shrugged.
            I gaped, unsure what the right thing to say. She sighed loudly.
            “What did you say your name was?” She smiled a quietly raged smile.
            “Sam,” I thoughtlessly gave up.
            “Hm,” She smirked, closing the locker and walking toward me.
            “Do you know where room 204 is, Sam?” She looked me in the eye.
            “Yeah,” I nodded.
            “Then let’s go,” She sized me up, not sure what to think about me exactly.
            “Okay,” I nodded, unsure with what I was even doing.
            She walked silently, not introducing herself. This made her even more captivating.
            “Why are you still looking at me?” She asked, walking along.
            “S--sorry,” I muttered, looking at the ground.
            “Again, don’t apologize for what you meant to do. It’s really irritating,” She rolled her eyes.
            “S--” I started, “okay.”
            “Now what kind of people go here?” She asked.
            “There’s always the popular people, and of course jocks--” I thought.
            “No, lower class,” she sighed.
            “Oh, well, there’s the artsy people who usually hang out with the goths? Um, we have those stereotypical nerds except they’re nice,” I shrugged.
            “Hm, well then,” she said. “And where do you fit in?”
            “Me? Oh, um. Nowhere I guess,” I bit my tongue.
            “Everyone fits in somewhere, and you know where it is that you fit,” she said sternly.
            “I guess I just watch it all happen, there’s no where particular I fit, I’m just a bystander to it all,” this seemed fitting enough.
            “I’ll ask you later then,” she stopped walking.
            “What?” I asked.
            “Nothing,” she was looking off in the distance.
            “Why’d you stop walking?” I asked.
            “There’s something I’ve gotta go do,” she backed up and left me alone.
            “What..?” I watched her walk off, unsure as to why she left so suddenly.
            “Little pig, little pig, you’re so far from home?” Alex called out.
            “Really?” I rolled my eyes, turning to her.
            “Who was the girl you were with?” She looked me over.
            “A new student,” I shrugged.
            “Does she have a name?” Alex smirked.
            “I-- I didn’t catch it..” I sighed.
            “Hmm, I’m sure you’ll find out soon enough,” she walked away.
            Alex  was always like that. Always trying way too hard to be “mysterious”. I shrugged and walked to my first class. That’s when I realized that my first class was in room 204. Well then, I guess I’ll get to meet her sooner than I had expected.

No comments:

Post a Comment